GERMANIA-SPEER

Adolf & Albert do Berlin

Website Feature - Reich Chancellery (0)

6:28 PM by , under


In 1945-46, the Russians obtained the marble for their Berlin war memorial from the ruins of Hitler's New Reich Chancellery, on the corner of Wilhelmstraße and Voßstraße, which Albert Speer designed and finished in 1939.

Hitler had airily told Speer that the Old Reich Chancellery was “fit for a soap company.” Located at Wilhelmstraße 77, the old chancellery had been built 1736-1739 as a palace for Count von Schulenburg. Otto von Bismarck remodeled the building as his chancellery.




| edit post

0 Reply to "Website Feature - Reich Chancellery"

Post a Comment